Monday, February 21, 2011

The Spirit Leads and Teaches

Sister Wilde is lovely and wonderful. This has been a great transfer so far! The Lord is so good to me.

It was a great week! We are truly being blessed with opportunities to do the Lord's work. There are transfers where it seems we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find someone to teach or to serve, but here they keep falling into our laps! We are striving to remain worthy of it by being exactly obedient and constantly thanking the Lord. I really can't believe that he would be so kind to us! We are teaching an 82-yr-old woman, Maria, from Slovania. She has so many stories, especially about WWII, but luckily she has begun repeating herself now, so we're able to do a bit more of the talking. It used to be very hard for me to cut people off because I felt rude and because I am genuinely fascinated by them. I've really learned that our role is not to be chatty and friendly but it is to bring the Spirit and very seldom does the Spirit come during chats; it comes from sharing together true principles of the gospel. If that means we have to be bold in steering the conversation then so be it! This work is just too urgent to chat.

The Lord seems to be teaching me a lesson about following the Spirit. The subject keeps cropping up at church, district meeting, study - it won't leave me alone! At district meeting we were discussing how we qualify for the Spirit and Elder Cannon shared something that really affected me. He said a lot, but what I remember most was, "The Spirit is a gift. We don't earn it...we can only be grateful when the Lord gives it." He also assured us that although at times we don't feel the power of our testimonies or the Spirit in our conversations, those we speak to feel it. He shared an experience he had where he was sharing the gospel with his friend. He walked away from the conversation feeling like the friend got nothing out of it but later discovered that it had a profound impact on his friend. It gave me pause and I reflected on how many times in the day I am being prompted by the Spirit, I simply don't recognise it. My eyes have truly been opened this week and I feel that I am reaching a new level of sensitivity. The Lord wants to work miracles through us - I have no doubt of that - and I'm becoming increasingly more willing to do what He asks in order to accomplish those miracles.

Last night, Sister Wilde and I were waiting at a bus stop in the rain. Sometimes the bus stops don't have times posted and this was one such stop. We had no idea when the bus would be coming but Sister Wilde turned and said, "I think we need to knock a few of those houses." It was a risk since it was late and buses run very seldom on Sundays; if we were to miss our bus we would be stranded, but we both felt good about it. Lo and behold, what was behind door number three but Wendy. She's spoken to missionaries many times in the past and never been interested but has just been thinking lately that she needs to decide what she really believes (imagine that : )). She invited us back before we could even ask! We will be seeing her later this week. The Spirit confirmed that our task was accomplished and we bounded back to the bus stop just in time to catch our bus home. Being an instrument is one of the best feelings in the world!

This is Molly's Blackpool District. Elder Dantas (far right) has been her District Leader for three transfers. He's from Portugal. Elder Jackson (the TALL one) was his Trainee.





This is a picture of Sister Rae on a field trip Molly took on P-Day.












Denford is from South Africa and attended Church many weeks before Molly and her companions realized he had never been baptized! He looks like a leader to me!




Mr. Wilson is one of Molly's favorite people! He looks so English to me. Charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment