Monday, October 17, 2011

The Spirit always teaches...

You know why being a trainer is so great? Because you always have a "progressing investigator": your companion!

I have just taken such joy in Sister Jack’s progress and achievements this week. We had service and tea with a part-member family this week and we had planned to teach Elder Uchtdorf’s recent talk “Forget Me Nots” and direct it towards Sister Harrison (the member) since she missed the conference. The Lord had something else in mind. I was asked to give the opening prayer, and as I did I heard myself say, “Grant us the Spirit as we speak of the Gospel…” and immediately I knew what we really needed to teach. Sister Jack was a bit shocked when I put down the talk and said, “Tonight we are going to read a chapter of the Book of Mormon together and speak of the Doctrine of Christ.” She looked at me with big eyes, but then smiled and just jumped right in. We read and expounded 2 Nephi 31, one of the most beautiful sermons ever written (in my opinion.) The spirit was so strong! Both of the Harrison were focused and I know they felt it. As we neared the end of the lesson, I thought to myself: we need to invite Brother Harrison to be baptised. Guess who beat me to the punch? My amazing companion! It was so powerful and touching as she told them of her baptism and the example of her sister. I was blown away as, with tears in her eyes, she invited him to be baptised. I think he was blown away, too! He declined, but explained that he would continue to put some deep consideration towards it. As we left the house he told us to keep up the good work. I could tell that he was very touched. I don’t know how long it will take him to be baptised (he has a lot of concerns related to family) but I know that we made one massive step forward that night. I am so proud that Sister Jack bravely followed the promptings she received! She’s fantastic.

During lunchtime a few days ago we popped in some old conference talks and I was really touched by the words of Elder Eyring in his talk “Watch With Me.” He speaks of our roles as shepherds of his flock. As I considered on this symbol, I thought of the words of the Saviour in John 10:11–12: I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. I had to ask myself, have I developed the heart and mind of the good shepherd or am I serving like a hireling? Ultimately, we will only have the strength to accomplish the task at hand if we take upon ourselves the desires and attributes of Christ. It is charity alone that will keep us on guard when the wolves come!

Steven Howard takes baby steps forward every day in gaining faith strong enough to pay tithing. The ward has helped massively. He has so many questions, and the members have really been the ones answering! There have been two times this week that it was time for us to leave the lesson, but the fellowshipper stayed with Daniel to talk over his concerns. Wigan is incredible! We walked home with him from church yesterday and talked things over. He's determined to pray about a date and then just go with it and let the chips fall! Amazing, Mum, that you mentioned Brec's three month challenge because that's basically what we issued Brother Andrew :) He's going to try it for a couple of months and then see how it goes. I know the Lord will bless him.

We have so many other people I would love to tell you about but haven't the time!
Sorry that this week is a bit short! The library is packed and time is running out.

Keep up the great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment