Monday, January 3, 2011

She's STILL in Lancaster with two Chinese companions!

Transfers went smoothly. We had Sister Snell all packed up and the flat clean and welcoming in plenty of time. The Office had to rearrange our apartment and put in an extra bed. The bedroom is a bit small and so the three beds are lined up right next to each other. It's like a slumber party every night for five weeks!

My new companions are Sister Shen from Taiwan and Sister Lau from London. Sister Shen just got here so she is being trained by Sister Lau. Sister Lau actually went to BYU-I before her mission! She studied political science so we don't know if we ever met (you know me: Snowed in) but she had a fit when she saw my box of Florence's chocolates! She thought is was the funniest thing! Amazing how the Lord keeps giving me companions that I have so much in common with.

Sister Lau is so patient. I'm constantly taking mental notes of things to remember for when I get to train! She seems to just think of everything and always makes sure Sister Shen is in the know. Such a great example. They've taught me a bit of Chinese in down time and so far I can say, "Hello," "Good bye," "missionary," and "story." Just give me a few days and I'll be inviting people to be baptised! It's good fun and I'm really excited to witness miracles this transfer.

Twenty four hours and Sister Shen has already changed my mission. She is just learning English and she is the most positive, humble, lovely person. I keep choking up when I think of all the additional fears she is facing. She is concentrating so much on being a useful instrument to the Lord that she doesn't have time to be distracted by discouragement or doubt. It has taught me a lot. I may know English and be able to teach lessons but I'm far from being the best instrument that I could be. If I focused on sharpening my skills in listening to the Spirit the way that Sister Shen focuses on English I can't imagine the miracles that I could facilitate!

Last week as I was studying diligence I read Elder Eyring and something he said really jumped out to me. He said, "You will become more diligent as you feel the magnitude of the trust God has placed in you." I began to pray for a greater understanding of the magnitude of our calling and the Lord has been giving it to me. Brother Appleby (a recent convert - the first baptism I saw) asked us what role the missionaries are supposed to take in the ward. I explained that once someone is baptised the ward takes care of them. "So, the ward takes care of each other and the Sisters take care of everyone else in Lancaster?" That one caught me off guard and made me think, am I really caring for everyone else in Lancaster?

We were talking to the coach driver on the way back from transfers and he asked how many missionaries there are in Lancaster. When we told him we were the only ones he was shocked. He said, "You're in charge of telling everyone here about your church? You better get to work!" He is right. There is no time to waste when there are so many we are responsible for! There is far to much work to be done to feel doubt or apathy.

The Lord is strengthening me! I feel it so tangibly since my new companions came. I love being a missionary because that strength comes whenever I am humble enough to ask for it! He never fails to fulfill His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment